Monday, April 13, 2015

Cosmetics Are Carcinogens, Too

Of the cosmetics that I use on a daily basis, I chose to look into the toxic danger posed by my Eucerin lotion. I've been using this lotion on my face, arms, and legs on a daily basis since it was recommended to me by my dermatologist when I was 13 years old. After watching The Story of Cosmetics (1), I started feeling a little concerned as to what chemicals I've been putting on my body for so long. After all, many of the ingredients on the label sound foreign to me. Even if I had taken the time to read the list, I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to pronounce the words let alone know what they were or, most importantly, what danger they pose to my health.

The ingredient list on my bottle of Eucerin reads: 
- Water
- Mineral Oil
- Isopropyl Myristate
- PEG-40
- Sorbitan Peroleate
- Glyceryl Lanolate
- Sorbitol
- Propylene Glycol
- Cetyl Palmintate
- Magnesium Sulfate
- Aluminum Stearate
- Lanolin Alcohol
- BHT
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone
- Methylisothianzolinone

Like I predicted, I haven't a clue what any of these are. After searching for the lotion on the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Database, I discovered that Eucerin Original Healing lotion scores a 4/10 on the hazard scale that the site provides for each cosmetic (2). Despite my relief that the score was not that high, this lotion still poses a moderate threat to my health. Of the ingredients listed, the most hazardous is BHT (Butylated Hydroxytoluene) - scoring a 6 on EWG's site. This ingredient is used for preservation in both food and personal care products and has several health-risk factors such as irritation, allergies, and organ-system toxicity. In high doses, BHT has been shown to cause cell mutation, developmental effects, respiratory irritation, and tumor formation in animals (3). I'm an animal, too! Although BHT is not specifically mentioned in Okala Practitioner, the text reads that the "Effects on laboratory animals are usually similar to those observed in humans at comparable doses" (4). A small exposure to BHT would be harmless, I'm sure, but what happens when this small exposure is added to every day and accumulates for years? "Harmless," at that point, might be an understatement.

According to an article from Berkeley Wellness about BHA and BHT, there is insufficient evidence as to the real harm or lack thereof in these preservative compounds. Although some studies have shown BHT to be a potential carcinogen, there are other studies that show it may actually reduce cancer risks and also act as an antioxidant. At this point it's just difficult to tell. What Berkeley suggests is to keep an eye on your consumption of the preservatives, but it's not necessary to go out of your way to avoid them (5).

There's no denying that I will reconsider every time I apply Eucerin to my skin from here on out. For now I have decided that I will continue to use it (at least until my $12 bottle runs out), but in the meantime I will search for a better and healthier lotion alternative. In my opinion, moisturizing my skin is one of the most essential parts of my daily cosmetic ritual, by in no way am I limited to Eucerin. I'm sure there are countless lotions out there that have much less health uncertainty.

This study has also inspired me to look into the toxicity in all my other cosmetics. After all, I use a number of them: shampoo, conditioner, body wash, facial wash, shaving cream, detangler, deodorant, foundation, mascara, and toothpaste. The chemicals from all of these could potentiate, bioaccumulate, and pose many threats to my health. It's time to be more careful!

Sources

1) http://storyofstuff.org/movies/story-of-cosmetics/
2) http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/product/464326/Eucerin_Original_Healing_Soothing_Repair_Lotion%2C_Fragrance_Free/
3) http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/700741/BHT/
4) Okala Practitioner. Chapter 15: "Understanding Toxicity."
5) http://www.berkeleywellness.com/healthy-eating/food-safety/article/two-preservatives-avoid

1 comment:

  1. Brittany -- can't even imagine what the (negative) synergistic effects are of using all these PC products together! Good analysis, if you find a better product please share it with us! 50/50 points

    ReplyDelete